Thursday, March 05, 2009

The importance of being Billy Crudup

I'm not sure if it's the excitement of his beloved Watchmen finally coming out on film, or the result of a brain-frying working week but I don't recommend attempting to have any kind of coherent discussion with Matt this evening.

Over dinner, I was remarking upon the Empire article I had read and my thoughts on the casting. At first, I thought lovely Jeffery Dean Morgan was a weird choice for The Comedian but then it grew on me. By the time I saw pics and the trailer I had him firmly fixed in my mind as being perfect for the part. Hopefully he is.

I only recently realised that it is Billy Crudup playing Dr Manhattan which I can not so easily imagine. Unfortunately, while trying to express to Matt that while I liked him as an actor I was uncertain as to how he would pull off the part, I forgot Billy Crudup's name.

Me: I still think he's a weird choice for Doc Manhattan.
Matt: Who?
Me: The guy playing him, whathisname?
Matt: Dunno.
Me: You know the British actor. He was in Big Fish and Stage Beauty and a bunch of stuff...
Matt: British actor guy?
Me: Arrgg, I've forgotten his name. Maybe I'll go look it up...
Matt: Let me guess. Ralph Machio?
Me: No. British
Matt: Handsome von Hunky Face? Actor McStarsinfilms? Lord Guy Whoactsin films?
Me: No (gets up to grab magazine)
Matt: Wait, is he like a younger British Hugh Grant, only British?
Me: What the?
Matt: (Spiels off more stupid names...)
Me: (Finding the page) Aha, Billy Crudup.
Matt: Uh.
Me: You don't know who Billy Crudup is, do you?
Matt: Yes, I do. Mr Crudup. Billy. The Crudster to his close and personal friends.
Me: It doesn't matter...
Matt: He's that actor who stars in that movie "Billy Crudup in huhhmmm".
Me: You can stop now.
Matt: He's the one who uncannily has the face of Billy Crudup.
Me: Forget it.
Matt: Billy Crudup. Lord Billy Crudup von Cruddinson. Cruddie. (Starts singing to tune of Rock me, Amadeus) Billy Crudup, Billy Crudup, Billy Crudup...
Me: If you don't stop, I'm going to write this up on my blog.
Matt: No, wait. What movies was he in?

6 Comments:

Blogger Morgan Davie said...

This man - I know thees man. Yes, I know heem.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Morgan Davie said...

arg typo i meant THEEES man obviously whups my mistache.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

*sings along* Billy Crudup Billy Crudup!

he was also in Almost Famous, because he is a Golden God.

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved Billy Crudup in Almost Famous. He was also in Mission Impossible 3.

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and uh, he's not British. Not sure where you got that from...

8:26 PM  
Blogger debbie said...

Oops, I don't know where that came from either.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home