Thursday, November 15, 2007

Why cats shouldn't organise baby gifts

Generally I think the cat has adjusted well to my maternity leave. She doesn't appear to mind my continued presence at home on the whole. She is content to let me sleep in along side her in the mornings, she begs tidbits from my lunch and has the added amusement of parading in front of the computer screen or walking across the keyboard whenever I am on the computer. However, some of her recent behaviour is either a cunningly calculated attempt to chase me out of the house during the day or cats really have a different idea of how to be nice and caring to pregnant women. Firstly, there is her 'assistance' with household tasks. Any sign of making beds or folding laundry and the cat is there. She purrs contentedly as she dives under sheets and towels, and bats you 'playfully' with her claws. It's a rather savage approach to playing tag or peek a boo that has resulted in several rather painful scratches. What's more is that she always knows if you try to sneak off with sheets or towels. You think you've made it into the bedroom without the cat and then no sooner than you've started to unfold said piece of linen, claws appear either through the fabric or around the sides, and sink into your fleshy fingers in the manner of a knife-wielding maniac in some B-grade horror film. Secondly, she has taken to presenting me with dead rodents. She times it well. Waits until I'm distracted or relaxed and not in the least expecting it, sneaks up behind me and lets out a loud "RRRoawww" and drops the mutilated mouse corpse at my feet. She then trots off to eat her cat biscuits in the kitchen while I have to scoop up rodent remains and then dispose of them in the garden. I dread to think of what she'll come up with next. Actually, I should be suspicious and on guard. I've been at computer for some time now and she is nowhere to be seen...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some cat psychology tips: Dead rodent offerings are her way of taking care of you as she has decided you plainly can't take care of yourself despite her attempts, through "play" to train your hunting instincts.

You will know she thinks you are making progress when she brings you semi-concious offerings for you to torment and then dispatch.

If I were you I would play safe by continuing to fail her cat intelligence tests and be content with dead offerings :)

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home