Monday, June 30, 2008

Snippets of random

Cloverfield DVD Review:
Most of the film
- a convincing portrayal of how nasty it could be if a geninuinely scary monster rampage took place in New York.

First sixteen minutes of the film
- a convincing portrayal of how nasty it could be if you were forced to watch someone's tedious and poorly shot home video of a sayonara party.

Seriously, a really good monster movie with an inexplicably motion-sickness inducing and dull opening. Why punish your audience for so long in an effort to create a sense of authenticity to the home video premise? We've all seen Blair Witch Project. We get the idea that it's 'real footage'.

Chocolate Ponderings

Why is chocolate with nuts and raisins called 'Fruit and nut' in dairy milk but the more healthy sounding 'Scroggin' in dark chocolate? Do the larger than usual squares that the 'scroggin' comes in mean that I'm still only having two pieces even though it may be the same quantity as about 8 squares of another flavour chocolate bar?

Obligatory Dominic Photo
Dom gives new meaning to the modelling phrase 'look fierce' with his frightening tiger impression.

7 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

I'm pretty sure I would have peed my pants looking at that picture if Dominic had more than one little tooth visible :-)

He's clearly practising for a real fierce look in two or three more teeth's time!

4:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

1) I've not seen Cloverfield, but now I kind of want to.

2) Anything that leads to me getting more chocolate is good.

3) That is an amazing photo!

1:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Seriously cracking up every time I see that picture.

1:23 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Awww, see I liked the first 16 minutes of Cloverfield. I think of it more as character establishment and relationship background for the rest of it. I mean, we need *something* to explain why Beth is important.

Dom's fierce look is awesome. I think you should send it to Tyra.

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very scary Dom indeed! Hands and face in tandem make an awesome tiger look.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) That's quite funny. When me and Sam watched Cloverfield, we both said Debbie would like this a lot if she she can get past the first 15 minutes.

I agree with Jenni, I think the first 15 minutes were about transitioning your brain into "I am watching a handy cam mode" so when the cinematography become much steadier and clearer (and not as beleivably handy cam mode) when the story needed it later in the movie, you didn't question it.

I think the effect is also probably exaggerated in your case (and at the movies) as your have a a large screen TV which you are quite close to.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

We watched it on a 14" TV in the bedroom :-)

I maintain that the first 10 minutes are entirely superfluous, and don't look like they were shot by a human with a handicam at all. It looks like someone attached a handicam to an ADHD monkey on crack. The rest of the movie looks plenty handicam enough to be convincing.

I loved the film, but I'm convinced that the redundant opening (everything before the party kicked off) was only left on there because the running time (with 9 minutes of credits) was only 80mins. They couldn't afford to cut anything without becoming a not-really-feature-length movie.

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home