Thursday, October 23, 2008

Dominic's botany lesson 1: Roses

Matt brought me home a red rose today at lunchtime so naturally Dominic had to investigate this strange new plant that came into his surroundings.

Hence today's blog post is a lesson on botany proudly brought to you by Dominic.

Dominic's Botany Investigation: Rose

Aim: To discover what, if any, uses a rose has.

Hypothesis: Roses can be used for food or as a rudimentary toy. Why else would Dad bring anything else home for Mum?

Methodology: I shall perform a series of tests in which I attempt to play the rose in a number of increasingly destructive ways.

Results:



Chew test - Rose lacked sufficent firmness to be a successful chew toy. Also not particularly tasty.



Bash test: Waved rose around and performed some impressive fencing manoeuvres. Rose lacked weight to be used as an effective weapon.



Flute test: Tried blowing on the rose but no sound resulted.



Durability test: Hit rose with small yellow plastic block. Some leaves and petals became detached during process.

Conclusion: Roses are not useful as either food or toys. Obviously worthless.



Luckily I discovered for Mum that the rose was not a useful toy or a delicious snack.



Oh wait, you don't mean you wanted the rose left intact, do you?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So no romance in Dominic's soul then? As a fellow scientist I heartily approve of his methodology :)

7:06 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

When some kids in my form class asked me who the rose was for, I told them I was going to give it to my wife, and then my son was going to steal it and eat it.

How right I was :-)

7:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lol. The rose actually held up pretty well until the bashing with yellow block part of the test.

3:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home