Thursday, September 03, 2009

Ducks - they know where you live!

Dom and I hadn't been to the park for a few days. It's been windy and he's shown a disinct preference for the joys of the playground over the joys of duck feeding (that is he turns around and runs out of the park as soon as we walk in).

The ducks, however, were not going to stand for this.

A couple of days ago I saw Dom pounding on the window and when I looked out there were a couple of ducks on our deck.



They were only a couple of feet away from our cat door (the cat, a once fierce and enthusiastic hunter, remained asleep on the bed throughout this visit).

Dom thought it was fantastic, I thought they were cute so I fed them. We then went and hung out in the backyard together with the ducks before they waddled off down the driveway.

They returned the next day and made their presence known by loudly tapping their beaks on our glass ranch slider (scaring me half to death - you don't often expect pushy ducks to be rapping on your window).

I gave into their quacky demands and fed them again but instead of loitering around the backyard and waddling off, they started sitting around on the deck.


"Dis is our home now!"

The unfortunate thing about duck squatting on your deck is that they poop everywhere. Duck poop is gross.

I must not feed the ducks again or they will never leave.

Austie would be laughed at by every cat in the neighbourhood if the entrance way to her catdoor was lined with duck poop.

5 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

I wonder if they followed you home from the park one day, or if they're door-to-door quackers who get fed at different houses at different times of day.

They certainly don't look skinny :-)

2:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As soon as I saw this post I thought, oh no, what if they stay there and poop on the deck.

Austie better get his game on! I'd have thought that Dom might frighten them away too.

2:33 PM  
Anonymous macow said...

It is also mating season and this is a pair looking to build up stamina and potentially scoping nesting sites. I think there may be two choices for you. Don't feed them and have a nice clean duckless deck OR

Feed them and eventually be home invaded by MANY more ducks of the small follow the leader variety being educated by mum and dad on where to mooch when fully grown :).

They look like fun and I know which Dom would enjoy most :)

3:49 PM  
Blogger debbie said...

They're back!

They showed up in the morning before we had Dom's gym class. I had to shoo them away down the driveway because I was paranoid about runnng over them and they don't scare easily. Then we came back home, they were still there on the deck quacking noisily and twitching their tail feathers.

It's like they're the duck mafia starting a poop projection racket (or should that be a 'quacket'?).

"This is a very nice deck you have here. It'd be a shame someone was to POOP ALL OVER IT!"

4:35 PM  
Anonymous macow said...

I think it is more a case of we know eggactly what we need to produce the nest generation and WE CHOOSE YOU. Don't try to duck your responsibilities, just be there to provide us with eggsactly what we need - and other bad spelling.

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home