Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Desperately seeking comments

Astute readers of this blog will have noticed my recent blatant attempts to get more comments. Like the desperate, attention-seeking blogger I am, I have resorted to bribery (sadly, few people were tempted by the promise of unicorns though) and even blackmail. Ransoming the final part of the story was the more successful of the two tactics, resulting in the prompt arrival of 5 comments (which may in fact be an all time high for the blog). I would like to graciously thank all of my wonderful commenters (and my Mum who said that she liked my story over the phone which I'm counting as a sixth comment). You are all lovely people and deserve much praise. However, a mind such as mine cannot drift along in reflective gratitude for what I have received before I start scheming and hatching plans to seek out more comments. My latest method: insincere controversy. A quick survey over various blogs and LJs reveals that an effective strategy to attract comments is to make some shocking statement that your readers will violently disagree with and be forced to argue at length with you in the comment section. (Other strategies seem to involve providing thought-provoking content of interest for your readers but I'm way too lazy for that). My first attempt. The controversial statement about a current political issue. Here goes: I'm voting 'no' in the referendum. As a caring mother, I believe I must smack my child regularly as part of good parenting. How else will I prevent him from growing up to be an atheist, homosexual, drug-addicted criminal who will be joining a gang and tagging my rightful property by the the time he's twelve. No nanny-state, PC gone mad government can tell me how to raise my child etc. etc. And in case that's not enough, I'll add some insincere controversy about a popular graphic novel. Watchmen the film was a FLAWLESS masterpiece and was a million times BETTER than the graphic novel... Hmm, maybe that's not inflammatory enough... Watchmen the film was a FLAWLESS masterpiece and was a million times BETTER than the graphic novel which SUCKED! Heh, hopefully that's got some of you thumping your keyboards in mouth-foaming rage.

14 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Gay panic should be a defence for any crime.

"Honestly officer, I was only doing 120km/h in a 50k zone because I saw a GAY on the street, and had to get away as fast as possible before he shook the very foundations of my manhood and sent me spiralling into a bicurious conundrum with his fabulous gay manscaping."

9:05 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Ah. Sarcasm.

I haven't seen Watchmen, nor read the graphic novel, so Ha! your attempt to get me het up has failed. [thumbs nose at blog]

(I liked Death and Dismemverment by the way.)

11:55 PM  
Blogger Evie said...

But I can't comment - there's no comment link in Google Reader where I read you. :P

(Lured in by the blatant opening statement that comments are wanted - not the other stuff)

12:11 AM  
Anonymous spambots are people too you know said...

SATISFY UR W0MAN IN B.ED

hey nice site hello

GO L NITE l0nGGG

hey very useful site thanks!!!

no i'm a real spambot not actually morgue at all shhhh

5:23 PM  
Blogger debbie said...

Thanks for the comments people and spambot. :-)

Thanks for the info about google reader Evie. I can now tell myself that millions of people are reading but they don't have a comments link.

Not much biting on the insincere controversy tactic though.

10:23 PM  
Anonymous elderly curmudgeon said...

Speaking as a church-going and god-fearing taxpayer I say it's the thin end of the wedge! I'm voting no. Next thing you'll be telling me I can't hit the wife when she gets lippy. It's PC gone mad I say.

However I doubt your committment to the cause - don't you know that it's only a short step from reading graphic novels to degenerate behaviour like tagging my garage. Graphic novels are what's wrong with the youth of today. They can't build a decent work ethic if they're sitting reading comics. In my day we didn't waste time on such frivolities.

11:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm normally a good commenter, but we ate all our bandwidth this month obtaining Never Mind the Buzzcocks. So until 11 Aug, I am on borrowed net time!!!

On the plus side, next time we see you we will have TV for you ;)

1:57 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Buzzcocks! Awesome :-)

And you might also have some feedback on certain manuscripts?

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome!!!
it looks great to read this....

___________________
Melvin
Getting a Payday advance is just a few steps away

1:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome!!!
it looks great to read this....

___________________
Melvin
Getting a Payday advance is just a few steps away

1:34 AM  
Blogger Idiot/Savant said...

Ask for comments, get actual spam. Joy.

3:43 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

18 comments from Melvin in total across our 3 blogs. He's so dedicated to commenting!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Mashugenah said...

I think it's fair to say that this is a big step up on controversy from "Doesn't Dom look awesome in this outfit". ;)

2:46 PM  
Blogger debbie said...

Yeah, and it had the added bonus of attracting spam comments as well. Ahh Melvin, comments with your crazy multiple exclamation marks and links to payday advancement. I wonder how controversial I'd have to be to get penis enlargement spam comments?

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home