Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Randomness

I got back from the hairdressers to discover that Matt and Dom have gone out on an adventure. It's very strange to be in an empty house and not running around after a rampaging little dude so I figured I'd cease the opportunity to blog. Items of random: 1. I got some 'Yummy yummy yummy' wash from Lush yesterday. I had heard it was good as a shampoo/body wash. Dom was starting to get a dry scalp so I shampooed him with the Yummy yesterday and it was brillant and seems to have cleaned up his scalp as well. The dangerous side effect though is that it left him smelling like a strawberry and cream flavoured chuppa chup so I keep obsessively sniffing his head. 2. I have decided to do a rough Word Count of everything I've written this year. Matt has been impressive meeting his word count goals and Morgue has inspiring updates on his writing this year. I fear that my 2009 word count may not be as impressive as I feel it should be. I've been writing or editing for an hour or two every day but possibly the overall output may not reflect that. 2009 Writing Poxbridge - young adult novel (technically started after Christmas 2008 but the majority of it was 2009) approx WC 66 000. Status - needs editing. Living with Iris - short story. WC 2104. Status - two for two rejections. Need to find a new place to send. Savage Crimes - children's story. WC 1195. Status - one rejection, waiting to hear back. The dragon in the library - kids' book. WC 800. Status - one rejection, waiting to hear back. The Changeling's mother - 2000 words written but still incomplete. The Mission - 450 word short story for local newspaper competition. Waiting to hear result of competition (next month). Taking back the night - WC 3516. Status - completed edit. Need to find somewhere to send it. Could be difficult. No obvious markets for wannabe Vampire slayer bromance. Baldren the Mighty's son - 4000 words or so written but still incomplete. Edited 'How to be a Teenage Fairy Godmother' down to 60,000 from 94,000. WC -34000 Status - sent off to readers for comments before I do next edit. The Land beneath the Shadows - children's book (aiming for 15 000 - 20 000 word length). Status - 8000 words and the first 6 chapters done so far. Writing for 2009 - just over 88 000. Not bad but not that impressive when I wrote 94, 000 in four or five months last year. I blame editing - it's a huge time suck but not all progress can be measured by word counts I suppose. I think I'll definitely be over 100 000 words written in 2009 but I may not manage 150 000. It would be a good goal to aim for though. Yay, Matt and Dom are back. I shall leave him to blog about his ideas for guber-dad stand up.

5 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

150, 000 words would be an impressive word-haul. I think I made some comment at the start of the year about trying to write 100,000 words of fiction this year. I think I'm sitting on maybe 20,000 so far, so a long way to go :-)

I guess I'll have to finish my current teen novel then write something else long near the end of the year...

10:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Woah, it seems like lots to me. Not just the actual word count, but all the sending out etc as well.

Awesomes :)

4:01 AM  
Blogger debbie said...

Thanks. I thought the word count might be bigger because I usually do about 1000-1500 words a day, but the rewriting and editing lowers the average output. It would be nice to have enough time that I could do a couple of hours of writing and a couple of hours of editing rather than have to choose between one or the other. I guess I could if I gave up TV and reading or spending any time with Matt in the evenings but I don't want to.

2:08 PM  
Blogger C G said...

Good God these word counts are huge!
(stunned silence)
(pours self brandy)
Huge I tell you!

6:35 PM  
Blogger debbie said...

Thanks, that's encouraging. I often have angst that I'm not being productive enough in the limited time I have available to write. I sometimes miss the days when I could enjoy lengthy periods of procrasination or productivity depending on my mood rather than just plonk out any-old-thing as quickly as I can type while the Dominator's asleep.

I have greatly been enjoying reading back through your blog (and now that I know where it is) and I am becoming quite the fan of your writing. Beware - gushy commenting may follow...

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home