Saturday, July 12, 2008

Murder with cookies

Yesterday afternoon was good fun as my sister came round to provide us with some roleplaying and she also brought a batch of fantastic double chocolate chip cookies accompanied by the bloke who made them. Nobody actually died from chocolate cookies but I suspect this is only because we have all been building up an immunity to high levels of chocolate over the years as the cookies were indeed dangerously rich and chocolately. We were playtesting the excellent game 'Murder Most Mysterious' which is an Agatha Christie-esque whodunnit with a neat Cluedo card mechanic. You also get to play Red Herring cards on other characters to make them seem more suspicious. Much fun. I heartily endorse both the game and the delicious cookies although the overwhelming chocolateliness of the latter had me twitching away and bouncing around way after my bedtime. Thankfully having Season 1 of Veronica Mars DVDs made the staying up no hardship at all. Dom had actually been around for the entire playtest and was quite content hanging out either being held or playing with his toys as we gamed so that was good. He was all smiles and happiness when getting held or played with by his Aunt* and Austie got to brutually savage her uncle so really a good time was had by all. Gaming was much fun but I found that my brain has either gone a bit rusty on the roleplaying front or the months of tiring but fun parenthood have left me with a crazy lose track of what you're saying in the middle of a sentence disorder. Many a sentence was set out on boldly only to wander off into a haze of confusion to a random destination. For some reason I determined that there was a poisonious residue of Jojoba berries from Kenya. Given that I shouldn't reveal any plot spoilers, I'll not give away too much of the 'Murder Most Mysterious' but here are some quotes. "The writing is shocking. Look at this simile! '...as yellow as a banana', and he's talking about a banana!" "You'd be surprised how many times one comes for a stay in an English country manor only to have to a handful of murders to solve before breakfast." "No decent British jury would ever be swayed by physical evidence. We need a confession in the library!" "I would come up with a far more poetic way for a daughter to murder her father who abandoned her. Like abandoning him on a cliff to be eaten by vultures." "It may be a crime of passion, and what would you British know of passion." "Smythe![the butler] Go and fetch Smythe to be questioned!" "'She was trying to seduce you [the Great Danish detective] throughout dinner with her drinking and provocative behaviour.' 'Well she quite missed the mark. I'm no Spaniard!'" "Tell everyone in the house I know who the murderer is and I'll announce it in the library in half an hour. I'll wait here alone in the library with this candlestick, and you stay hidden with that leading piping. We'll lure the murderer out and what could possibly go wrong?" * Which means despite hearing warnings from listening to Jeeves and Wooster stories in Audioboook form, he clearly has not developed a healthy fear of the evils of Aunts.

4 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

'Twas an awesome fun game. It was a shame that the world's greatest detective did not solve the crime - drawing the clue card that told me that I was innocent twice in a row did somewhat limit my knowledge :-)

And Dominic was great throughout the game. I thought it was particularly cute how much he enjoyed watching his uncle get savaged by the cat!

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool to see Dom can handle even the volumes produced by Idiot when RPGing :)

2:48 PM  
Blogger debbie said...

And unlike last time (Inspectres many moons ago) Dom didn't try to out-volume idiot either :-) He mostly chomped on toys, laughed at idiot being bitten by the cat, and wriggled about on the floor.

And bounced in his master-command-saucer ;P

3:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's good to hear that post-baby roleplaying *is* possible ;)

Not so good to hear about delicious cookies that *I don't have*!!!

;P

2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home